Starting Over--

Shalom Ya'all!

Oops! Starting over with a modified address due to a mix up with the Google accounts! There is probably a reason why I don't normally DO blogs! Still seems confusing to me.

In any event, time is moving on quickly and both Elder Peter and I are working against the clock it seems to get ready in time.

If you got my email today, you know about the wonderful additions in donations that are filling the extra suitcase. I am so glad to be able to bring encouragement in practical ways as well as relationally and spiritually! I have discovered another artist among us. Carol J. from the U.P. sent some knit hats and beautiful paintings, the work of her hands. Jann's worship banner arrived safely, apparently having gotten out of Arkansas ahead of the storm. If I can, I will try to attach some pictures soon! The beautiful scarves and stuffed animals arrived from Theresa in Texas, also ahead of the storm, thankfully!

Four more days, and one of them is a joyful Shabbat to anticipate before getting on the plane away from all of this snow!

Thanks for your patience through my blog mix up...
More to come, Yeshua willing!

watching and praying,
Barb

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Back in the USA

Shalom once again!

I am here back home at last.  Arrived a few minutes early yesterday in Green Bay. No problems with any flight or connections, though I did see that we were flying over Libya and had read that political unrest is happening there, too.  A common thread of conversation for many passengers was the sentiment that we are not living in the same world anymore, generally said with sadness.

My last day there was a peaceful one, with a quiet morning after getting the last entry to this blog done, a final run to an ATM machine, and the elders arriving to sample the remaining American food I had for them, a meeting about what has been happening and how we might work together.

I really didn't want to go into Nairobi again so we went northwest to Kiambu to see if there was an ATM there that worked, and there was, so we didn't have to go as far as Limuru.  I didn't get enough zeros in so we still ended up looking for another ATM on the way to the airport.  I am just not used to thinking in terms of  40,000 or 30,000 in money!   I had another opportunity to capture a picture of one of those "Christian" labels.  How about this one:

Answered Prayer Butchery --  see the meat hanging in the window?



I had purchased some tuna fish and crackers but forgot that I didn't have a can opener.  Peter was able to use a knife and get a can open and he had also found two with a finger pull opener so I introduced them to a new food. It was gone pretty fast, along with the Mountain brand dehydrated chicken stew, which they thought was pretty sweet.  Peter laughed as I handed around the bowl for hand washing with a towel.  "Now you are serving us!"  They enjoyed watching and photographing me with new food and I should have gotten out the camera to record their tentative efforts with the tuna! I shared a few of the "tea" Herbal Life tablets too, which they found fascinating as they got fizzy in the water.

As far as the meeting agenda, their only request is that I consider wearing a complete head covering the next time I come, because apparently, they have heard from some people (none of whom spoke to me!) who objected, and the elders concern is that the message I have brought not be lost because of immature people who can't look past physical issues. I assured them we would talk about it and consider how to handle it, Yeshua willing for me to ever return. I had honored Peter's request for at least partial headcovering, and I also heard from Peter M. in Nakuru that people there were just amazed that any American woman would wear a covering, full or partial.  They really don't have much of a view of the rest of the world, where some of these same issues are just about as controversial as they are here! Beyond that, we all agreed that the language barrier was a major challenge; and that includes dealing with American Wisconsin English and British English as well as Swahili.
They are quite convinced that I just need to learn Swahili which is such an easy language before I come back in order to overcome this barrier. Their pride in Kenya is evident among adults and children alike so it must have been interesting for them when Peter told them that last day that he had been told that no American woman would ever come to Kenya because the conditions are just too bad. So, there I was...


 Several times during these congregational meetings, the leadership had asked to pronounce blessings on me, and said over and over that I would be blessed for taking the time to come and see them.  Here's what it looked at at Kawaha West.







I spoke the Aaronic blessing over them in return.
 
BabaMarta said that Susan, his wife, had favorable comments about my meeting with the ladies and several of the men expressed the hope that I would speak favorably of all of them, overlooking any shortcomings. I assured them that this would be no problem as I have great admiration for all that they have accomplished for YHWH's people under such difficult circumstances.  I also spoke with them about the ladies meeting as they seemed a little ill at ease, and had commented with a sort of nervous laugh, that they expected me to tell the women to submit to their husbands!   I had attempted to answer questions as clearly as I could, but that I also explained that my understanding is that any halacha questions are to be established by the local leadership and can easily differ in some ways from region to region.

Then there were several opportunities to talk with the neighbor ladies.

Barb with MamaSara - Grace,  holding Sara

Some of the ladies from our "Set Apart Ladies Summit Meeting"
Really enjoyed talking with Grace/MamaSara who would like to stay in touch and get acquainted with others among us if possible.  She grew up Presbyterian and struggles with the head covering expectations here, knowing that she understands her covering to be Messiah and perhaps her hair, but honoring her husband's request that she wear the scarf on Shabbat. She loves to read and study and Peter has given her a number of books over the past few years.



Exterior gate, leading to a large enclosure, big enough to put a car or two inside.
Fruit and vegetable stand next to door
Peter arrived promptly at 7 pm, announcing that he was on "American" time, not African time today. This is good because the airport is on "American" time, too! They had thought that it would take about 45 minutes to get to the airport, and on the way down the road I finally remembered to take a picture of the front courtyard to Peter's home, with the fruit/vegetable stand in front that several ladies use.


Inside this mud floored enclosed area, there is a concrete porch entrance to Peter and Margaret's home, as well as an additional enclosed room.
They also have the traditional upholstered couch, actually 2 of them, with the same kind of linen coverings that Margaret made for the apartment I was in. They also have the usual plastic chairs in addition to the couches. Their hutch is filled with study books for Peter, china and momentoes as well as their television and DVD player. Scripture quotations and pictures adorn the walls.




As our car pulled up in front of Peter's home, Margaret and several men got into the back seat but elder Francis was walking away. Since he had been with us the entire two weeks I was puzzled why he wasn't in the car.  It took a few minutes to get an answer but as both cars moved out into the street, Peter said. "Nobody wanted to be left behind so we hatched up a plan."  Seems they rented a taxi so we could have two cars of people to go.  I was honored!

The 45 minute trip took closer to 90 minutes as they tried to find  a way around the worst of the traffic jams.  We were moving through part of that highway construction area which is all bumpy mud, crevasses and some rocks, rather like an exaggerated washboard. No informational signs to speak of and it was dark, but they pressed on and we did arrive at the airport at 8:30, which was still in time for me.  The next challenge was finding a place to park, and included watching a very tight squeeze as a car maneuvered out of where a taxi had parked blocking them in.  To my amazement, Peter then managed to put the car we were in in that space!
Everyone from both cars joined us as we piled the luggage on a cart and began looking for KLM desk.  Ended up walking a long block down before finding the right entrance.


To my surprise, they weren't even going to be able to come into the building as there was a security check point for all luggage right inside the door, so we said our goodbyes there in the line on the sidewalk.  All send their greetings and love to their American family in Messiah Yeshua's Name! As I got through that first check point and was "putting myself back together again" i.e. computer in case, shoes back on, and so forth, I looked up and realized that all 15 or so of them were lined up at the plate glass window there watching me, smiling and waving!  I so wish that I had had a moment to pull out the camera and take a picture of their smiling faces as I know that is the mental picture I will have in my head for a long time. They are my brothers and sisters and more of their faces are known to me now!  They endured 90 minutes in and now had at least that going back out through all that road mess just to be able to stand on the sidewalk and wave goodbye to see me off. Kenyans are remarkably patient...because in Africa there isn't much choice!  They have been trained up in dealing with adversity in ways that we have yet to experience. We have much to learn from one another.

It took an hour to get through all the security checks to get to the gate, and then another hour to load the plane but I was in plenty of time.  I saw a Kenya coffee mug in a gift shop window but didn't feel comfortable to leave the line to get it, so my usual practice of getting a mug as  a record of where I have been got missed this time. The flight was uneventful as I said earlier.My seat mate was a Nigerian woman who teaches at a university in Windsor CA, and who has a mother in Nigeria yet.  She travels back and forth often, also overseeing an HIV assistance project in Nigeria. She told me that all the roads in Africa are pretty much like they are in Kenya and was also quick to assert that most police officers were just looking for bribes. Hmm, common knowledge.

  After all the security checks there had been in Nairobi, people weren't especially happy that everyone's passport was being checked as we entered Schiphol airport, but they consoled themselves that after all, it is another country and they aren't so sure they trust Africa's security measures. (They take pictures and a full set of fingerprints on the way in and out of the country, just FYI)

I was in line with a nice Kenyan man who had been visiting family and was now returning to Arizona.  His name was Benjamin and he helped me locate my gate which was VERY close! He had been educated at Nakuru before going to America and was quite pleased to learn that I had visited the small villages and towns. No time to look around there--they were already loading.  I had no idea what time it was really, as I was still on Nairobi time, but thankfully I made it to the correct place.

  We arrived in Detroit on time and went through customs and immigration.  Everyone expressed doubt about the African drum I was carrying so I was referred to Fish and Wildlife officers who sent me to Department of Agriculture officers. I told them the drum was a gift straight from the hands of the maker, who made them for use in worship.  When they saw that the drum was cowhide and had been treated and prepared, they had no problem and off I was again.  I found my gate to be a long way off this time, but the tram was fast. I had a minute to get some water and a chai tea before loading for the last flight.

I was met with hugs and flowers and a Momma Rachel sign!  Visited with Bob, Rachel, Laura, Cheryl, Karen and Phil, Emily, Grace and Henry before getting to sleep. Seems lots has been happening here with all the questions about schools and cuts and so forth...perhaps signs that we too, need to be developing that patience in adversity. I'm sure it will take me a week or so to get over jet lag, get reorganized and dig into the emails and mail waiting.

I have several requests from these brothers and sisters that I am asking all of us to keep in prayer.

1) As these leaders travel around, they see such deep needs, including hunger, and need for clothing and shelter, and along with appreciating the study materials they respectfully ask if it is possible to consider any regular donations to help them help others. When they understood that we are also a small group, and not really "Rich Americans" they asked if we can help them make connections with others who may be able to offer financial support. Peter had made a passing comment one day that in Kenya, $1,000 USD can change a man or woman's life forever. So they know we are unable to make large financial support promises but are joyfully joining in prayer with us for whatever YHWH chooses to do.

2) The Children's Center needs help to purchase the land ($1,000 USD) and set up the dormitories  ($  ??)  they envision to help meet the needs of children there, many orphaned through HIV. We will probably be able to send them some more Bible story books and children's study materials but have no idea how or if we could be of any more help than that.

3) They would dearly love to have a small menorah for each fellowship, which I will check into. Perhaps Talia in Israel will be willing to purchase and send them the same kind I have when we can forward funds to her.

4) One elder has requested a Chumash for study, and another has quietly said that he would promise to learn to use a laptop in 4 weeks if it were possible to provide this wonderful tool for him. ( I also learned from Peter that there is a small side income to be made with a laptop that can do printing projects, which he has been doing with family members using the SAM laptop we sent months ago.)

5) The ladies would still like to see material for their sewing projects if possible.

6) I can see that they would benefit from and wisely share at least a motorcycle if not a car.  A reasonable motor cycle can be purchased for about $600USD.

It isn't that "things" are unavailable in Kenya. They are surrounded by marketplaces and people selling things. The quality may be poor and the price high so they prefer used things that are better quality.  Peter tells me that 8 year old cars from other countries come to Kenya, and then they keep them for 10-20 years.


Well, I went to Kenya, understanding that I was to travel there, "sooner rather than later" and that the purpose we understood was to see that Peter really is who he has said he is.  That was verified very quickly. He is held in very great esteem by many people, male and female alike; though the women would really like to have a woman leader that they can confide things to that they wouldn't be comfortable to tell a man!

The leadership of Yahweh's Set Apart Ministries (as it is officially incorporated--I saw the certificate) includes men of compassion and a heart for Messiah and His people.  They were kind and gracious to me and to those I saw them interact with.  I think perhaps part of a reason for going also included connecting Brad Scott's friends with this group, as they had been unaware and lonely for other people of like mind. Perhaps it has to do with some kind of ongoing support or at least initial help for the Children's Center. It also had to do with helping Yahweh's SAM people with maturity, the roles of men and women, and their connection to Israel.  Beyond that, we will see what will come and trust that YHWH is well able to accomplish His plan when we are willing to Shema! There is a DVD of my visit which we will share when we have had time to consider any additions or subtractions in the editing.

watching and praying for all that Messiah has in mind for us, His Set Apart People of every tribe, tongue and nation.


Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment

Snow

Snow
Snowy De Pere a few days before departure!