Starting Over--

Shalom Ya'all!

Oops! Starting over with a modified address due to a mix up with the Google accounts! There is probably a reason why I don't normally DO blogs! Still seems confusing to me.

In any event, time is moving on quickly and both Elder Peter and I are working against the clock it seems to get ready in time.

If you got my email today, you know about the wonderful additions in donations that are filling the extra suitcase. I am so glad to be able to bring encouragement in practical ways as well as relationally and spiritually! I have discovered another artist among us. Carol J. from the U.P. sent some knit hats and beautiful paintings, the work of her hands. Jann's worship banner arrived safely, apparently having gotten out of Arkansas ahead of the storm. If I can, I will try to attach some pictures soon! The beautiful scarves and stuffed animals arrived from Theresa in Texas, also ahead of the storm, thankfully!

Four more days, and one of them is a joyful Shabbat to anticipate before getting on the plane away from all of this snow!

Thanks for your patience through my blog mix up...
More to come, Yeshua willing!

watching and praying,
Barb

Monday, February 21, 2011

Last entry from Kenya

Shalom everyone!

Well, I have just printed my boarding pass in preparation for departure this evening.  I have still only just begun to believe that I am really here and it is time to leave.  Though I am ready to come home and see family! 

My last entry included a lot of pictures. I don't think I will be able to include so many this time.  Since I last wrote, we have visited 3 more congregations and I have finally had the much awaited session with the ladies.

 This place is in Kutus, which is several hours drive from Kamiti.



My last entry included a lot of pictures. I don't think I will be able to include so many this time.  Since I last wrote, we have visited 3 more congregations and I have finally had the much awaited session with the ladies.Above is the building that a landowner allows the group here to use, though he isn't a member. They had a generator running and were quite boisterous!  This is Peter, my 'film crew" here, singing with Margaret, Elder Peter's wife during the gathering.



Here I am , moving back and forth with Peter translating, as we spoke to the group.

 They were interested to learn Hebraic dance and several men and women were willing to try while everyone else watched.  Since they don't normally count the same way we do, it was all so confusing!  Redemption, Peter's daughter, later explained to me that they demonstrate a pattern for your feet by using letters, and how many steps you make on each part of the letter, sort of like our jazz square. I left the steps for Oh Jah!  with her and had also taught them Hine Ma Tov.  I think they will need a refresher!

As has been true at each place, people visiting from other areas are asked to step up and provide a word or a song of encouragement to all.



Here I am with Lucy and Margaret at Kutus.


Our last place of gathering was at Peter's home place in Kahawa West.  They rent this concrete building with a dirt floor for use, by the month.   They are able to leave only chairs and a small table there as more would probably be lost to vandalism.


This man, known as John, survived a terrible beating in which he lost his eyes.  Peter tells me that some people doubt that he is capable, but really all you would have to do is listen to him speak with such quiet and sure confidence in Messiah to know that he is really okay. He was able to provide translation between Kiswahili and English as needed, too.

And here are most of the ladies from the SAM "Ladies Summit meeting!"  we had wonderful time talking about challenges they face and encouragements.  There are a number of single mothers here, as well as many concerns about things like not kindling a fire on Shabbat, and the correct understanding about head coverings.
Some ladies object to them, seeing it as a spiritual matter, not a physical one. Several like wearing them. It seems that there is a sort of "status" or rebellion here too.  Some women wear coverings low over their forehead to their eyes, while others feel more free or daring to let their forehead and ears show.  They were surprised that I wore a partial covering but very open.  The elders had already let me know that they do not view it as a "must" behavior and are not opposed to changes.  Still, most of the ladies have understood that they are not free to have an opinion in their previous assemblies, so it will be some time before they are more comfortable and open.  They had some good questions on marriage and remarriage and divorce as well.  We didn't have nearly enough time, so they do want to know if we can talk and do a teleconference as most have cell phones.  We will see if that can work! 

As always, people keep telling me that I must come back, and fully expect it to happen!

As for me, I am blessed beyond measure to have had this opportunity and am quite willing to wait and see what YHWH might have in mind.

My thoughts are so full that I cannot order any more to write, but will say good bye and blessings with just this final picture of one of the ladies saying goodbye! That's little Marta behind!  She has stuck to me like glue since we had time to talk about Bible stories and questions she has!  Her dad is Baba Marta, the leader of the local group, and her mom is Susan, MamaMarta, who translated for me with the women.   They are such a blessing and gentle though enthusiastic influence here!

I will have time with the elders this afternoon for a wrap up, and discussion of ways we could have done things more effectively and perhaps what we are seeing as any further understanding of how we can work together as Set Apart people.  The plan is to depart for the airport by about 7.

I will be coming into Green Bay about 12:30 Tuesday afternoon, Yeshua willing!

Looking forward to seeing you all there!
watching and praying,
Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment

Snow

Snow
Snowy De Pere a few days before departure!